Tips For Keeping Your Teeth Clean During Orthodontic Treatment
Cleaning your teeth while wearing braces can be difficult, but it’s more important now than ever! Your braces provide great hiding spots for food particles, bacteria, and plaque to build up. It’s important to stay on top of your oral hygiene during orthodontic treatment to avoid gum disease, cavities, bad breath, and discoloration of the teeth.
Tips For Oral Hygiene During Braces
- One tooth at a time – When brushing your teeth with braces, it’s important to take your time and brush each individual tooth. We recommend that you spend 5-10 seconds on each tooth.
- Brush after each meal – While you’re wearing braces, we recommend brushing your teeth after each meal. This is because the longer you allow food particles to build up around your brackets, the more damage the bacteria can do. If you’re unable to brush your teeth, at least rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
- Always be prepared – The best way to remember to brush after each meal is to put together a brushing kit to keep in your car, purse, or backpack. Don’t forget to include a toothbrush, fluoride toothpaste, and floss.
- Don’t forget fluoride – Always make sure that you’re using fluoride toothpaste and fluoride mouthwash. This is because fluoride is able to prevent cavities, which is important during orthodontic treatment.
- Use a floss threader – Some patients have no problem using regular floss, but others find it to be difficult. If you’re having trouble flossing with your braces on, we recommend using a floss threader, which can help you get the floss through your braces.
Please don’t hesitate to contact Lockett Orthodontics if you’re having trouble keeping your teeth clean while wearing braces. Our orthodontic office is located Colorado Springs, CO.